Having Hard Conversations – Jennifer Abrams
You're currently not logged in. You must login for member pricing.
Check to see if your district is a member:
If your district is listed in the drop down menu AND this is your 1st registration since Aug. 2, 2016, you must register your membership once by clicking "Join Now" and then selecting “Individual Partner Membership”.
If you have already registered since Aug. 2, 2016, simply click "Login Now" and provide user name and password.Join Now Login Now
Having Hard Conversations
December 8, 2022
8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Midwest Principals’ Center and IL ASCD invites you to attend
“Having Hard Conversations”
with Jennifer Abrams
on December 8, 2022
from 8:30am – 3:00pm
at the NIU Naperville Conference Center
located at 1120 E Diehl Rd. in Naperville
Live Stream from your device
*Formerly a high school English teacher and a new teacher coach in Palo Alto Unified School District (Palo Alto, CA, USA), Jennifer Abrams is currently a communications consultant and author who works with educators and others at all levels on leadership development, effective collaboration skills, having hard conversations, and creating identity safe workplaces.
Jennifer’s publications include Having Hard Conversations; The Multigenerational Workplace: Communicate, Collaborate & Create Community; Hard Conversations Unpacked: the Whos, Whens, and What Ifs; Swimming in the Deep Ed: Four Foundational Skills for Leading Successful School Initiatives, and her newest book, Stretching Your Learning Edges: Growing (Up) at Work.
Dr. Abrams shares her work in other mediums as a featured columnist on growth and change for Learning Forward’s The Learning Professional Journal and as well as contributing to The International Educator (TIE), focusing her writing on adult development and collaboration skills.
Jennifer has been invited to keynote, facilitate and coach at schools and conferences worldwide and is honored to have been named one of the “18 Women All K-12 Educators Should Know,” by Education Week’s ‘Finding Common Ground’ blog.
More about Jennifer’s work can be found at her website: www.jenniferabrams.com and on Twitter @jenniferabrams.
HAVING HARD CONVERSATIONS
Following up on her recent workshop, “Stretching Your Learning Edges” (November 7th), Jennifer returns to help us take a deeper dive into taking responsibility for our communications, with a focus on challenging conversations. As administrators, coaches, and colleagues, we often come up against situations where difficult topics must be addressed.
- What do we know about the best strategies for those moments?
- What questions should we be asking ourselves before we speak?
- What environments are best for when we do speak?
Based on Jennifer’s book, Having Hard Conversations and her work with conflict and interpersonal communication, this workshop will provide participants with action plans and scripting tools for having those necessary, hard conversations.
Participants will learn how to:
- Identify why they hesitate having hard conversations
- Choose questions to ask themselves before they choose to speak up
- Articulate in professional language the challenges they are facing
- Determine the goals of the conversation and write an action plan of support
- Script the conversation avoiding trigger words that put others on the defensive
- Choose the best ‘wheres’ and ‘whens’ for a productive discussion
A copy of Jennifer’s book, Having Hard Conversations, is included in the price of registration and will be mailed to each participant prior to the workshop.
- All registrations will be confirmed by email.
- If you register 10 people, the 10th registration is free. Call 847-851-2256 or email [email protected] to receive this discount.
- Cancellations must be received at least 5 business days before the program event in order for refunds to be made. A $10 cancellation fee applies to all cancellations.
- If you have questions or need assistance in registering, call Tresie at 847-851-2256 or email her at [email protected].